Health and care ‘critical incident’

You’ll have heard that the NHS is under a huge amount of pressure at the moment across the country, and the same is true in Derbyshire. Health and care services in the county have declared a critical incident because of extreme pressures.

Our health partners have taken a decision to temporarily postpone some elective care treatments so that they can dedicate clinical resources to those requiring urgent and emergency care and those who are acutely ill.

They’re urging residents who need urgent medical care that is not an emergency to visit NHS 111 online or call NHS111 for advice on how to get the care they need at any time of day or night.

If you have a minor illness or injury, like a sprain, fracture, minor burn, skin infection, animal bite, minor eye and head injury, sting or bite you can visit an Urgent Treatment Centre.

Pharmacists can give you advice about minor illnesses such as a cough or cold, sore throat, tummy trouble and aches and pains. They’re experts in medicines who can offer you clinical advice and over-the-counter medicines.

Contact your GP for symptoms that won’t go away, such as lumps, unexpected weight loss, abnormal bleeding and persistent pain. GP practices also employ highly trained professionals such as physiotherapists, nurses, dieticians and others. Only call 999 or attend A&E for serious accidents and emergencies.